HUPD : Crime Prevention
Traffic Administration Office:
University Police Department:
University Police may be contacted 24hrs a day.
- HUPD Home
- A Message From Chief Glover
- Crime Alerts
- Crime Prevention
- Pirate Notification System (PNS)
- Traffic Administration
- Crime Statistics
- Employment Opportunities
- Fire Safety
- Michael H. Minger Foundation
- How Are We Doing?
- Submit an Anonymous Tip
- Policy on Sexual Harassment and Misconduct
- Virginia State Police
Sex Offender Registry
- Annual Security Report (ASR)
Preventing crime is a joint effort between the Hampton University community and the University Police. Pro-Active measures have been put in place to help us to achieve this goal. The University Police conducts safety seminars during the year to help you become more security conscious.
Reporting suspicious activity and vandalism, and protecting yourself and your personal property are just a few ways to a safer campus.
The University has installed emergency call boxes which ring directly into the Police Headquarters. The call boxes are located strategically throughout the University campus with an emphasis on designated pathways. To activate a call box, press the button on the front of the box and speak directly into the box to the dispatcher. The dispatcher will immediately send an officer to your location.
Call Box Locations
Familiarize yourself with these locations by obtaining a map from University Police or viewing the Campus Map online.
Prevention Tips for Protecting Yourself & Your Property:
- Always lock the door to your room! Even if you are just visiting someone down the hall or going to the shower.
- Engrave your personal items such as cameras, video games and equipment, computers, etc, with your social security number or personal ID number. Engravers are available at the University Police office.
- Never leave your books, purse, or book bag unattended. Especially in places such as the library, cafeteria, or classrooms.
- Never lend your keys to anyone or leave them lying around.
- Do not prop open exterior doors.
- Keep credit, debit, bank cards, and checks in a secure place. If these items are stolen, call and cancel card(s) immediately and then file a report with the University Police.
- Avoid walking alone unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. It is always best to let someone know where you are going and when you are expected back.
- Avoid walking in dark, isolated areas.
- Walk with confidence! Whenever possible, know where you are going.
- Have your door or car keys ready; do not have them buried in your purse or pocket.
- Always lock your car doors.
- Always check your car before entering. That includes from and back seats.
- Never hitchhike & never pick up hitchhikers.